Kumara and Black Bean Chilli
This recipe is adaptation/combination of these two recipes:
- 1.5 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium-large kumara peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2x 400g cans black beans (liquid included)
- You can opt for kidney beans, or even some lentils if you would like to bulk it up or mix it up.
- 1 400g can diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in a high sided pan over medium-high heat. Add kumara and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, chilli powder, cumin and salt and cook, stirring constantly, for a couple of minutes.
Add beans (including juice OR 2.5 cups of water), tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
In this order (or not):
- Chopped fresh tomatoes
- Corn tortilla chips
- Sour cream